1. A week ago in this space I told you, the loyal reader that I would be headed to Boise for the Broncos tilt with the Fresno State Bulldogs, but I promised a NitPicks in some form from the road. Indeed, I’m writing this very intro on the notes ap of my phone as we approach PDX, because I refuse to let travel or a lack of Internet get in the way of this column. You’re welcome.
2. This has nothing to do with anything but I have a unique relationship with Portland. I’ve never really been there but I fly through all the time, so from the air I know it well. It’s probably the city I’ve been to physically the most times without ever actually having visited there. It looks beautiful, very Central European from the air, anyways, although I’ve never actually seen the sun while in Oregon.
3. On to actual football: like I said in headed to Boise right now to watch the game tonight. Ice never actually gotten in a plane before just to watch a sporting event, and while I’m going to see friends as well, without the game I probably wouldn’t be headed up. It isn’t like it is a barn burner of a matchup, either. Frssno has rebounded in the past couple of weeks, but it isn’t their strongest team and whatever excuses, optimisms and expectations I may have, this is a Boise team with two losses. Still, I consider myself a die hard Boise State fan, and that means that if I have a chance, I should go to a game. Granted, this is a pretty liberal definition of ‘chance': I’m hopping on a plane, ignoring the rest of my life and missing 3 key games for the hockey team I coach (not to mention a Vegas road trip with the team- sorry boys, give em hell), but it’s well worth it to make sure I get to see the Blue in person at least once this year.
4. I’m absolutely surrounded by Ducks fans on the way to the Washington game in Eugene on this San Jose to Portland flight. They seem like nice people so I’ll keep my thoughts on the program to myself.
5. I could never have envisioned being this fired up about the Cowboys. Competitive would have been a great showing in Seattle. To get the win was unbelievable.
6. I had a Boise based flight crew from SJ to Portland. Good sign/start. Even got a ‘go Broncos’ from the pilot.
7. If Tally actually does boycott GameDay for negative reporting by ESPN…screw them. Gameday is a privilege and if the showing is lackluster then I hope they never go back. It isn’t ESPNs fault your qb can’t stop being an idiot.
8. I’ve heard that Portland was big on the
soccer European foot hockey, but that was no joke. Been here for 20 minutes and I’ve seen 3 Timbers jerseys. Good on em.
9. I don’t get why everyone complains about it. I like flying.
10. The picks. The right sides. Cash money. Winnings. Let’s go.
I. Minnesota -13 over Purdue
II. Baylor -8.5 over West Virginia
III. Oklahoma -7.5 over K-State
IV. Virginia +4 over Duke
V. Cal +7 over UCLA
VI. Boston College +5.5 over Clemson
VII. Georgia -3.5 over Arkansas
VIII. Colorado +21.5 over USC
IX. Mizzu +5.5 over Florida
X. Washington +21 over Oregon
6-4 last week, 38-32 on the campaign.